In case the domain name you wish to use for branded links is not spare but is rather currently in use (to host a website, blog, etc...) you can still use it to create branded links if you opt to connect it by installing a Rebrandly Connector. Our connectors are designed to create an alias for your existing domain name in your Rebrandly account, so that you can seamlessly create branded links with the domain. If you have no knowledge about your current website/blog technology, you might need some help with the initial setup. The following instructions outline how to install a connector which activates an alias for your domain name within Rebrandly.
To activate a domain alias with your Rebrandly account follow these steps:
- Log in to Rebrandly dashboard.
- Launch our wizard to Connect a domain:
From https://app.rebrandly.com/newdomain, click on "Connect a domain" link
(Domains > "New domain" button > "Connect a domain" link)
- Type the name of the domain you already own.
- Specify that the domain is NOT SPARE, hence it is used for ‘website, blog, ...’
- Choose to use your domain name and NOT the subdomain.
(if this option is not available in your account, contact us)
- Click on "Next" button.
- Follow the setup instructions on the next page.
The domain alias details and instructions will also appear in the list of your domain names.
Up to date configuration options for the domain alias are available here
- Wait for your domain setup to be verified. You will receive an email when it is ready to be used.
Setting up a domain alias needs a configuration from your side and may not be a simple procedure. We recommend that you proceed with the setup only if you are perfectly able to understand the instructions or, alternatively; you can ask someone in your organization with expertise to proceed with the changes required. If you have any doubts do not hesitate to ask for help from our support team: https://Rebrandly.support/contact
In case a link already exists in the main website (blog, etc...) it will have priority. Links created in Rebrandly with an alias domain will only work if they are NOT present in the main website.
This article is about:
- Domain alias for branded links
- Using the main domain for branded links
- Use a domain name for the company website and branded links
- Your brand on your links
- Url shortener with a main domain name
- Configuration options for the domain alias
- Connect a Sub-Domain
- Where do I go to configure my DNS?
- Connect a Domain I already own
- How to monitor and fix broken links (404) for your branded links (custom shorten URLs)?