How to Turn Your Domain Into a Link Shortener
This process will allow you to turn any domain you would like into your own personal or business link shortener. All you have to do is change your DNS records to have it "point" at Rebrandly.
Warning: Do not change the main (or @ record) DNS settings for a live website. This will immediately disconnect the domain from the host, meaning your website will go down. Rebrandly, or any other URL shortener, does not work on an active website, it only works on a domain that is "empty" or not in use.
To connect your DNS follow these steps:
- Log into Rebrandly.
- Go to this page: https://www.rebrandly.com/domains/setup-dns
(Domains > New Domains button > Setup DNS)
- Specify that you own a spare domain.
- Write your main domain name on the domain name field (e.g. mybrand.com).
- Log into your domain hosting account (GoDaddy, Hostgator, Register.com, etc).
- Navigate to DNS Settings page.
Important Note: Do not follow these steps for a live website. Your site will go down. Only complete the next step on an unused domain.
- Delete all records associated to the domain, if any.
- Add a new record:
- Record type: A
- Hostname (or Name): leave it empty or write @
- Point to (or Address/Value): 22.214.171.124
- Add another record:
- Record type: CNAME
- Hostname (or Name): * (star)
- Point to (or Address/Value): your specific CNAME value
with format “rebrandlydomain.com.”
- a dot "." at the end of this sequence may be required in the configuration depending on which domain provider you are using.
- In case your domain hosting account does NOT accept "*" (the wildcard) then use "www".
- Save your changes
- Wait for your domain to be ready. You’ll receive an email from Rebrandly when your domain is correctly configured and DNS settings are propagated worldwide.
Note: This process takes place on your domain host's account, which does vary from registrar to registrar.Here are instructions at some of the most popular domain providers:
- How to Change DNS Records at GoDaddy
- How to Change DNS Records at HostGator
- How to Change DNS Records at Register.com
- How to Change DNS Records at Blue Host
- How to Change DNS Records at Ipage.
- How to Change DNS Records at InMotion Hosting.
Important to know:
- DNS needs to be propagated all over the World in order to make the dedicated domain works. If the domain is brand new it should take only about 15 minutes. But if the dedicated domain was registered in the past it could take up to 24h.
This article is about:
- Setting up a domain as a link shortener
- How to change your DNS in a 3rd party host provider
- Changing or creating a new A record
- How to Register a New Branded Domain.
- How to Connect and Use a Sub-Domain for My Branded Link Shortener