The average expected latency for a branded link to perform a redirect operation is 200 milliseconds. For most applications, this is acceptable enough for the redirect to be considered invisible in the eyes of users.
However, if your use case requires your branded links to redirect to your destination URLs as fast as possible, Rebrandly has an alternative option available.
In your Rebrandly dashboard, you can opt-in for a different DNS configuration for branded domains, the "Faster redirect" configuration, which will enhance the average latency time worldwide- exploiting highly available and congestion-free global routing paths to get your visitors closer to the Rebrandly servers.
Is Faster Redirect for you?
By default, we configure all branded domains purchased through Rebrandly to use our industry-standard DNS configuration, which prioritizes the accuracy of analytics over redirection performance. We also recommend all external domains connected to Rebrandly to be configured in this way.
But, for users looking for improved redirection performance, the option is available to switch to advanced DNS configuration.
If you want to try our performance-oriented solution, enable the Faster Redirects feature for any branded domains in your Rebrandly account.
Before proceeding, however, note that this option does contain limitations:
- Geo-tracking not available: Branded links created with domains configured with Faster Redirect will lose the ability to identify which country the traffic originated from.
- When looking at click metrics, you will lose access to country-specific reports.
- Geo-routing not available: Branded links created with domains configured with Faster Redirect cannot leverage conditional rules which involve the visitor’s location
- Decreased performance for bot detection: There is a category of bots/crawlers which Rebrandly will not be able to properly mark as such for click traffic coming from links whose domains are configured with Faster Redirect.
How it works:
If you want to get faster redirects and the described limitations aren't an issue for you, follow these simple steps to enable it.
- Access your Rebrandly dashboard
- Identify the branded domain you would like to redirect faster and then navigate to the domain detail page
- Switch on the “Faster redirect” option located in the DNS Configuration (Expert only) section
- Click on “Activate” on the confirmation prompt
- If you purchased the domain within Rebrandly, no more action is required on your side
- If your domain is managed by another registrar you will be prompted with instructions on how to redact your DNS records accordingly to take advantage of Faster Redirection.
Be sure to apply the recommended changes to your domain’s DNS panel.
- Wait for the DNS change to propagate all over the internet, it usually takes up to one hour for changes to take effect
If you run into any challenges configuring Faster Redirect, please reach out to our support team directly on https://rebrandly.support/contact.
This article is about:
- Branded domain redirects
- Redirect speeds for branded domains
- Ultra-fast redirects
- Branded domains