Open Graph (OG) meta tags are a simple and effective way to improve the appearance of your social media posts and increase brand awareness and SEO.
OG allows web developers to control how their content is displayed when shared on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, X, and LinkedIn. OG tags (snippets of code that are added to the <head> section of a web page) provide information about the page's content, such as its title, description, image, and type. When a user shares a URL on social media, the social media platform will scrape the page for OG tags and use them to generate a rich snippet.
OG tags are important for a few reasons:
1. They can help to improve the click-through rate (CTR) of your social media posts. When you share a link on social media, OG tags tell the platform what to display. This helps to make your content more visually appealing and informative, which can lead to more clicks and shares.
2. OG tags can help to increase brand awareness. When your content is shared on social media with your branding information, it helps to expose your brand to a wider audience.
3. It can lead to more backlinks. When people see your high-quality content shared on social media, they may be more likely to link to it from their own websites. This can help to improve your website's authority and ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
With Rebrandly's Link OpenGraph Control feature, users can decide how the content preview of their branded links will look when they share branded links on social. This feature lets you control factors like the image displayed, the content title and the description.
How it works:
- First, log in to your Rebrandly account and click "New link", creating a branded link as you normally would.
- Click "Add options" to your branded link and then click "OpenGraph metadata"
- A popup will appear with the current preview. To make changes, click "Override metadata"
- Make the adjustments you'd like, including editing the title, featured image, content type and description. Your changes will appear in the preview as you make them so you can see what your new preview will look like.
- Click save and then share your branded link with its custom Open Graph preview all over social!
Important: You're free to change this preview in the future, as well as remove your changes and go back to the default preview.
Note that if you make changes to open graph metadata after you've already shared it on social, due to different caching behaviours in the various social platforms, your updates might not reflect immediately. If you need to make edits to the open graph preview immediately after sharing the link, we recommend creating a new link with the required preview edits.
Here are some tips for using OG tags effectively:
- Use clear and concise titles and descriptions that accurately reflect the content of your web page.
- Choose an image that is relevant to your content and that will be visually appealing to social media users.
- Use the correct OG type for your web page. For example, if your web page is a blog post, you should use the type "article".
- Test your OG tags regularly to make sure that they are working properly. You can test your Open Graph tags using the Facebook Open Graph Debugger.
Overall, OG tags are a simple and effective way to improve the appearance of your social media posts and increase brand awareness.
This article is about:
- Open Graph Control
- Changing the Open Graph Preview
- URL OG
- Link Open graph
- Open graph edit for links (URLs)