Add Https to your Custom Short URLs for free with Cloudflare
Natively Rebrandly does not support custom SSL certificates for domains. But if you need to share your branded links in https, for example https://mybrandedDomain.com/abcd and you have expertise with DNS management, we suggest the following workaround/integration:
- If not done yet purchase your domain with Rebrandly OR configure the DNS of a domain (or subdomain) you already own.
- Wait until the DNS changes are propagated.
- Subscribe to Cloudflare and follow their domain wizard.
- Add your domain to Cloudflare in wizard (Step#1). You must add the main domain name even if you are using a subdomain (e.g. you have to setup mydomain.com even if you only have something.mydomain.com (a subdomain) on Rebrandly).
- Wait about 60 seconds for Cloudflare to load your current DNS records, then confirm your DNS records in the wizard (Step #2)
- Select a Cloudflare plan in wizard (Step #3). Free one is a valid option too.
- In step #4 Cloudflare communicates two of nameservers to configure on your current domain control panel. If you purchased your domain with Rebrandly, please tell us the nameservers and we’ll update them for you. If you purchased your domain with another domain provider, please access your panel and update nameservers accordingly.
- Wait for the nameservers update to take place (may take up 24 hours). You should receive an email by Cloudflare when done.
- Your domain is now ready to work with Rebrandly in Https (no change to be made Rebrandly side, as Cloudflare will provide SSL layer). Http can be used as well.
If you want to share your links as https:// by default, you can follow the steps in this article.
only if you are using your main domain as the custom URL shortener.
This procedure is NOT valid if you are using a subdomain (eg.: subdomain.mydomain.com).
Cloudflare allows you to forward your main/naked domain name (e.g. mydomain.com) to Rebrandly directly. Your current configuration, instead, will perform a double redirect (mydomain.com => www.mydomain.com => then Rebrandly). To improve your links redirection:
1) Delete the Rebrandly A record
2) Change your current CNAME record to use name/hostname “@” (same address as before).
Do not change the main DNS settings for a live website or blog. This will immediately disconnect the domain from the host, meaning your website will go down. Rebrandly, or any other URL shortener, does not work on an active website, it only works on a domain that is "empty" or not in use.
For any question please contact us
This article is about:
- SSL/Https for custom short URLs (Branded links)
- How to share my rebrandly links using https
- SSL certificate with Rebrandly branded domains
- Custom short links with ssl/https
- How to create branded links (custom short URLs) that include https:/ (SSL encryption)
- Cloudflare and Rebrandly