Finding the Best Google URL Shortener Alternative as the platform shuts down.
In March 2018, Google URL Shortener (Goo.gl) announced that it would be winding down its services and eventually shutting the platform down. Immediately, the use of the platform was cut off for any new or anonymous users, while current users were given the year to migrate their links to another link management system. Come April 2019, Google URL Shortener users will no longer be able to create new links. As the deadline is quickly approaching, users must quickly develop a migration strategy. When looking for a new URL shortener, consider Rebrandly as the Google URL Shortener alternative.
Rebrandly is the most complete and reliable link management platform on the market. Our solution provides the easiest way to create, measure, and manage short URLs with a custom domain name.
Already a Google URL Shortener user, and looking for a replacement link management tool?
First, let's highlight the key differences you can expect between the two services.
With Google URL Shortener you can NOT:
- Use a custom domain to create short links
- Change the destination URL
- Use a Custom URL slug
- Make your links private
- Easily and automatically add UTM parameters
- Delete your links
And the list goes on...
Out of these limitations is why we created Rebrandly.
We want you to have full control over every link that you share. Rebrandly offers the above features and more.
Many speculate that the reason Goo.gl is shutting down its services is because of the association between generic short URLs (like the ones Google URL shortener provides) and spam. Generic URL shorteners are often used by spammers to disguise links that lead to malicious sites. Even if you're not a spammer, if you're using the same generic URL shortener (in this case Goo.gl) your link can be banned by certain sites and email servers.
This spamming issue goes even further than Goo.gl. It's a problem in the entire generic short URL industry. As services and sites continue to blacklist these generic links, the solution is to switch to using branded links when shortening URLs.
Here are some of the ways creating branded links with Rebrandly can help your business maximize each and every link.
1. BRAND and customize
Including the brand and a relevant keyword in every link will:
- Increase link trust
- Increase click-through rate by up to 39%
- Make your links stand out
- Improve brand visibility
- Transform ordinary links into efficient calls to action
- Create a consistent experience across different channels
- Improve SEO
Have a look at these examples from a few Rebrandly customers:
- Lamborghini chose a cool domain that mimics their brand name: lam.bo
- Jaguar Australia uses jaguarau.click to prompt click-throughs on social media
- Panda Express recreates their brand's name using a TLD: pandaex.press
- Harvard University uses multiple domains for specific departments such as hvrdalum.me for their alumni network and hrvd.me for broader communications
2. MANAGE all link assets in one place
With Rebrandly it’s possible to list and control all of an organization’s links in one place. Users can:
- Create different workspaces
- Allow co-workers, partners, and clients to access branded links
- Manage different access levels using SSO and 2FA
- Edit destination URLs after the links have been shared Optimize traffic routing
- Retarget visitors who click on the links
- Manage 404 errors (page not found)
- Stop or re-route out-of-date links or even ones that are harmful to the organization Enforce compliance standards for security, communications, and branding
- Control which members of the organization can share with certain domains
3. INTEGRATE Rebrandly into any workflow
When choosing any new tool, it’s paramount that it works seamlessly with the tools you’ve already got. At Rebrandly we created tools, integrations, browser extensions and desktop/mobile apps to allow for easily incorporating link management into your current workflow. Rebrandly is already integrated with over 100 of the most popular apps, including...
4. TRACK every click to drive better business decisions
Which of your communications drive the most traffic? What’s the quality and composition of that traffic like? Which campaigns are working and which need some more work? Email, Twitter, SMS, QR-Codes, display and CPC ads, and print are only a few examples of the channels every business use to market and communicate products to their audience; are you leveraging them effectively?
From our customers:
This article is about:
- Alternative to Goo.gl
- Alternative URL shorteners
- Google vs Rebrandly
- Google URL Shortener Alternative