How to Create a Sub-Domain for my branded links
This process will allow you to create any subdomain you would like and have it "point" at Rebrandly in order to use it as your own branded link shortening service.
Follow these steps:
- Log into Rebrandly.
- Go to this page: https://www.rebrandly.com/domains/setup-dns
(Domains > New Domains button > Setup DNS)
- Specify that you do NOT own a spare domain and click "Continue"
- Now you need to fill two different text fields:
- In the first text field write ONLY the subdomain (for example: "go" or "link")
- In the second text field write your main domain name (e.g. mybrand.com).
- Log into your domain hosting account (GoDaddy, Hostgator, Register.com, etc).
- Navigate to DNS Settings page.
- Add another record:
- Record type: CNAME
- Hostname (or Name): your subdomain (the same you used in step 4, for example "go" or "link")
- Point to (or Address/Value): your specific CNAME value
with format “rebrandlydomain.com.”
- (dot at the end of the CNAME value may not be accepted: remove it if not needed)
- Tip: In case your domain hosting account does accept "*" (the wildcard) and you did not configured this record earlier, you may use the wildcard instead of the sub-domain. In this way you will be able to create multiple sub-domains in Rebrandly without any further configuration in your domain hosting account.
- Save your changes
- Wait for your domain to be ready. You’ll receive an email from Rebrandly when your domain is correctly configured and DNS settings are propagated worldwide.
HOW TO CONFIGURE YOUR DOMAIN HOSTING ACCOUNT
This process takes place on your domain host's account, which does vary from registrar to registrar.Here are instructions at some of the most popular domain providers:
- How to Change DNS Records at GoDaddy
- How to Change DNS Records at HostGator
- How to Change DNS Records at Register.com
- How to Change DNS Records at Blue Host
- How to Change DNS Records at Ipage.
- How to Change DNS Records at InMotion Hosting.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW
- DNS needs to be propagated all over the World in order to make the dedicated domain works. If the domain is brand new it should take only about 15 minutes. But if the dedicated domain was registered in the past it could take up to 24h.
This article is about:
- Setting up a second level domain as a link shortener
- How to change your DNS in a 3rd party host provider
- Changing your A Record